Monday, December 21, 2009

The Gift of Good Food


Again this year I have made a commitment to handmade gifts. This means a ton of gift knitting, of course. Unfortunately most of my gift knitting is yet to be finished so I'll save that for a later post.

What is finished, and in the mail are some yummy gifts of the edible variety. This year I sent preserves I made this summer to my family - The peach rum sauce, the spiced peach jam, and the two types of strawberry jam.

I also made huge batches of granola to send to Minnesota. Granola is super simple really and when packaged in a half gallon Ball canning jar it makes a pretty snazzy gift. Here's my recipe.

Almond Granola

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup raw sliced almonds
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup raw sunflower seeds

1/2 cup grape seed oil
1/2 honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon

2 cups dried fruit

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees. Gentle heat the oil, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon and stir well. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large baking pan. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry goods and toss until coated evenly. Bake for 1.5 to 2 hours (or until toasty and crunchy) stir often while baking. Add the dry fruit of your choice after the granola has been allowed to cool.

I prefer raisins, but for my sister who dislikes them I used dried cranberries. I think dried blueberries would be a lovely choice also.

Enjoy!

Granola on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment