Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mayo-less Tuna Salad

There are not many foods I won't eat, but there are a few. Brussels sprouts are one. Mayo is another. I've tried the vegan mayo-like products that are available on the market, and while they seem to not have the sickeningly fatty essence of mayo, they are still lacking in their own special way. So I stay away.

This mostly works just fine, with one exception. I occasionally need an extra bit of protein in my life and when I do I seem to crave tuna salad sandwiches. The last time I craved a tuna salad I created this recipe. It is light, refreshing, packed with protein and low in fat. It's just real, good food.



Mayo-less Tuna Salad

1 can of high quality tuna packed in spring water
2 tablespoons capers packed in balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic pressed
2 scallions finely chopped
juice of half a lime
1 teaspoon organic Dijon mustard
kosher salt and fresh ground white pepper to taste

Simply mix all the ingredients together and serve. Lemon would work just as well as lime, I just happened to have a lime. I recommend serving on a bed of home grown baby greens from the garden or on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.

Serves 2

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. My kinda lunch. I'm not a huge mayo fan but there are a few items I enjoy it with on a very small scale. Most mayo-based dishes are so drenched in the stuff you can't taste anything else.

    I just love simple, good food like this!

    ReplyDelete