Friday, July 20, 2007

D-U-N-N DONE! Done Something for the First Time

My Neighbor and I have decided to host a block party for National Night Out, no big thing really just some family friendly beverages, ginger snaps, and a chance to meet our neighbors. Yesterday we went door to door to leave invites for people, and as we did we chatted, mostly about the fact that she is training to do a Half Iron-Man Triathlon.

One of the things she said as we walked stuck with me. She said "It's been a long time since I've done anything for the first time." It got me to thinking about doing things for the first time. There's a certain excitement that only happens the first time, even if you do those things again. If you do them again it's because you love them, or at least sort of enjoyed yourself, but the first time, that's a thrill. It got me thinking about things I've done for the first time, especially things I've done lately for the first time, and if indeed I did things for the first time often enough.

The Block party will be a first. In fact, moving to Austin was the first time I have ever lived anywhere other than Minneapolis. My recent trip to San Antonio was a first. I'd not been there before, and was not sure what to expect. Granted, it's not a triathlon, but I have, in fact done that also.

That's me post-race, in front of the then LYS. The store happened to be along the race course and the yarnies so graciously cheered me on, that I went back for a photo. I did the Triathlon for the thrill of it for sure. I wasn't sure I could, I wasn't sure I'd finish, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to drown, and it was the excitement of not knowing that made it so fun.

I was thinking about all this while I did finishing work on Sizzle. And that too is a first. My first hand knit garment. I've done lots of accessories, but never clothing. Again, it's not a triathlon, but it was still a little thrilling. Every week I'd say to the ladies at my Sit and Knit, "...I hope it fits", never sure that it would, and enticed by the fact that it would probably be beautiful, but it might not. In the end the shirt fits, literally, and it's mostly beautiful, and I'll actually wear it. It makes me a little proud.

I think the important thing about doing stuff for the first time is the thrill. The thrill of anticipation and not knowing for sure what to expect. The risk that it might suck - the pride in the accomplishment even if it does, and the new found passion if it doesn't. Thrills come in all sizes. We can't all be adrenalin junkies, we can't all run the Iron Man, and we can't all knit wedding gowns. But we can, and should, all experience the thrill of doing something, anything, for the first time.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice Sizzle--the fit looks perfect!

    My husband and I recently moved to California from the Midwest, so I have been experiencing lots of firsts. It's always good to shake things up a bit or a lot:)

    ReplyDelete