Thursday, January 31, 2008

An Etsy Find Lady's of the Letterpress

From time to time I like to showcase a few of the gems I find on Etsy - your place to buy and sell all things handmade. Let's face it I spend a lot of time on Etsy, and a fair amount of cash. So when I find something I'm thrilled with I figure I should share it with y'all.


The Lady's of the Letterpress badge was designed by and purchased from Heroes and Criminals Press. In the funny world of coincidence Jessica, the letterpress printer/artist happens to be a student of one of my dearest friends, at the University of Iowa Center for the Book. I guess the world of letterpress is a small one indeed.

This recent gem was actually a gift. My fella new I loved my Patagonia fleece vest that I've had for years and years, he also knew I never wore it. Why not? because it was a wrap present from a film I worked on back when I was working as a production assistant, and it wasn't a very good film, in fact I never bothered to see it, and they gave us the vests with a badge. The badge was a silly inside joke having to do with Lutherans and gun clubs, not really my cup of tea. Anyway, I never wore the vest.

Until now! I pointed out Jessica's shop, pointed out the badge, and fondly reveled in the small world warm feelings. My fella took it upon himself to order the badge, and - and this is the best part - he sewed it to my vest right over the top of the old icky badge. Perfectly, and meticulously hand-sewed it.

All stitched up

Now I wear my vest a lot. And each time that I do I am warmed not only by its wind proof fleece, but also by thoughts of my fella who sews, and my friends in Iowa, and the tiny community of Lady Letterpress Printers.

No comments:

Post a Comment