Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Sort of Metaphorical House Cleaning

At the New Year I seem to find myself setting goals, making lists, and performing a sort of metaphorical house cleaning. I suspect that I'm not alone. I also suspect that other artists and crafts people find themselves setting similar goals, making similar lists, and performing similar tasks. Perhaps this post will resonate with my fellow crafters. Perhaps this post will bore the pants off everyone else. Or maybe they'll get a sort of voyeuristic glimpse into the business of crafting. In any case it's what's been on my mind and taking my time lately and so it is what I should post about.

First off there is the really rather tedious and mundane, but no less necessary tidying. I speak of things like updating your website, updating the sidebar of your blog, updating your various online profiles. And giving the Etsy Shop a makeover. If you snoop around you'll notice I have most of these done. Thank goodness.

Then there is the goal setting. You know, things like deciding which grants you'll apply for, which shows you'll do or apply for, which new venues you'll pursue, and developing new marketing strategies. My favorite part of these tasks is getting a brand new daily calendar and carefully plotting out the whole year. I write in due dates and deadlines. I write in reminders to myself well in advance of those due dates and deadlines. I write in which shows are when, making mental notes of my busy months online, that way I won't be caught short of inventory, in theory anyway.

I also make lists and take copious notes on projects I want to do. This year I've included 4 new artists books (at least two of which are carry overs from previous years), a letterpress printed broadside, a calendar project (for 2009 of course), and a whole mess of screen printed tidbits, cards and other assorted ephemera. Most years I don't get as much done as I think I will, but every year I have high hopes, and that's what counts.

This year I have made a few crafting resolutions as well. The big one is I have resolved to learn a new piece of software. I asked for and received Adobe In Design for Christmas with the intention of putting it to good use. I admit I'm intimidated. I have resolved to not neglect marketing. I have resolved to be productive and love what I make. I have resolved to stick with this dang blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment