Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Warning: This Post Isn't About Knitting

This post isn't about knitting. It's about books, or more specifically a book club. As my profile states "I'm a reading maniac", and as my header makes clear this is a blog only mostly about knitting, it is otherwise about reading, shelter mutts, and other some such.

I'm in a book club, which is really much more a "wine and eating" club. Every month or so 6 or 9 of us ladies get together and we all bring great food, and we all drink wine, and we all eat, and we all talk. We seem to only rarely actually talk about books however. Don't get me wrong, we all read - Just apparently not the same books.

We sometimes recommend books to each other, but in the almost a year that I have been a member of this book club we have only, as a group read two books. They were both really good books, but it has only been the two. They were "Bastard Out of Carolina" by Dorothy Allison and "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood.

I, like the other ladies in book club, have of course read many more books in that last year. Myself I've read "Wolf Boy" by Evan Kuhlman, "The Orchid Thief" by Susan Orlean, "Chinatown Death Peril" by Paul Malmont, "How to Be Good" by Nick Hornby, "Blast From the Past" by Kinky Freidman, "Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore, and some others I'm not trying too hard to recall right now. I would recommend all of these reads.

I love books. I also love "wine and eating". And so I love my book club.

1 comment:

  1. Your Wine and Eating club sounds like fun, even if you don't all read the same books! "The Blind Assassin" is a great book, and Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete