Thursday, September 24, 2009

Recommended Books for the Brand New Knitter

I spent this morning updating the handouts I use for my knitting workshops, including the list of suggested books for my Get Your Knit On! workshop. I decided to share that list here on the blog as well. Of course this is not any where near a complete list, it is only representative of the books I recommend to the brand new knitter.

The top of the list is The Knitter's Companion: Expanded and Updated (The Companion series)
It is the perfect resource for new knitters as well as more experienced knitters, offering instruction on everything from your basic stitches to seaming. I keep my copy in my knitting bag and refer to it all the time.

I include One Skein: 30 Quick Projects to Knit or Crochet because Leigh Radford is one of my favorite designers and I would recommend any of her books. But also because the projects all require only one skein of yarn making them perfect for the new knitter - manageable and fairly simple.

I include One-Skein Wonders Again one skein means something approachable for the new knitter, plus 101 projects is a lot of projects.

I recommend Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook because of the wide variety of patterns - everything from super simple hats to great first sweaters.

I included Knitting in Plain English, Updated Edition because it's a classic, and it's funny, and in terms of helping a new knitter troubleshoot and fix things it can't be beat.

And finally I included Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time because I love the concept and the world of charity knitting can be inspiring for the new knitter.

I'm also updating the suggested reading list for my Knit This and Felt It! workshop and I'll share it with you as well, just as soon as I've finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment